We celebrate Father's Day with guest Mark Cortazzo of Macro Consulting Group. Mark says retirement investing requires a big shift in thinking, especially when it comes to risk. While growing your portfolio, time and volatility can be your friend but once you start withdrawing from the portfolio, they become your enemy and market hits have a much greater impact. Mark's perspective on how to manage the transition from accumulating wealth to withdrawing during retirement is valuable.
In honor of Father's Day, check out this post, where I review some of the valuable lessons Albie (also known on this show as "Big Al") imparted to me.
You might think that as a former options trader on the floor of the American Stock Exchange (AMEX), my father would have been a big risk-taker, but Dad developed a healthy respect for risk. He compared investing to swimming in the ocean. When the water is calm, you feel brave and alive, but when a wave sweeps you off your feet, you are humbled.
Here are some of Dad's pearls of investing wisdom:
- “Every asset class stinks, but cash is the best of the worst.”
- Sarcastically referring to big investment firms’ opposition to the DOL’s Fiduciary Rule: “Only these geniuses think that NOT putting the client first is a smart business proposition.”
- About investors who pile into expensive, but poor performing hedge funds: “Just because they have money does not make them smart.”
Thanks to everyone who participated this week, especially Mark, the Best Producer/Music Curator in the World. Here's how to contact us:
- Call 855-411-JILL and we'll schedule time to get you on the show LIVE
- Send an email: email@example.com